New for 2020, individuals (including current volunteers and fosters of Heart of Phoenix) can apply to showcase a horse during the 3 day event in August (The Appalachian Trainer Face Off and Fun Show).
Approved individuals do not need to be trainers. Trainers, Lesson instructors and knowledgeable horse people can all take part in this Showcase addition.
So, what is this Showcase?
While we will have 25-30 trainers in amateur and professional categories competing in the Appalachian Trainer Face Off to win by being judged in basic skill, trail and free style events, the showcase allows you to not compete but select a horse not in the regular ATFO event to take home and work with to bring to show in regular cases during the Fun Show that runs along with the ATFO.
Who can do the Showcase?
You just need to be solid horse people who care and want to give a horse a chance to shine and get a home! You can be a trainer who doesn’t want to compete or just a savvy horseman or woman to do this! You can already be a foster and use your current HOP horse, too! This is a way for kids to take part, too!
Any kid aged 12 and up who has a trainer overseeing them in a barn with general liability insurance can take part with a suitable horse if they meet the horse and the skill sets match up, especially if they are interested in taking on a youngster for in hand work! The horses kids will select from will already be undersaddle or in hand horses.
So What are all the Details?
- Any Heart of Phoenix Horse in the rescue from now through July 1st can be selected to be a showcase horse.
- You will not be judged by ATFO judges or receive scores.
- You will not do a freestyle.
- Any qualified horse person may decide to showcase / foster one of these horses
- The foster showcasing the horse will agree to take videos, photos, have access to Showcase Team shirts for sales, share frequent updates similar to what ATFO trainers share and write up descriptions of their horse to help the horse find a home.
- The foster of a showcase horse will attend the Fun Show with their HOP horse and take the horses in at least 2 Fun show classes, but there is no limit to how many classes you may show in with your showcase horse. All fees are waived for the classes. This is just so adopters can see your horse in action.
- The foster will talk to potential adopters through out the ATFO 100 day event to help assure the horse finds the right home.
- The foster has the option, if they covered all basic care costs while working with horse, to 50% of any adoption fee paid during the ADOPTION EVENT at the end of the ATFO. Showcase horses will be offered as adoptable in the same way all ATFO horse are. Showcases horses start with a $500 adoption fee opening bid.
So, what horses can be a Showcase horse?
Some of the horses to select from are horses that, for one reason or other, were good candidates for the ATFO. They may have minor limitations, may be under age 3 (so unable to be started, but they can be presented in hand) or may be over age 15 (which is the cut off for ATFO horses).
Interested? Just Email us at Equinerescue@live.com and fill out our foster application here