40+ Horses for Adoption
APPLY to Adopt today – Follow the 100 Day training Journey. Attend or Bid Remotely once approved on August 21st
SHOWCASE horses can BE adopted sooner than August 21st – reach out to the trainer to see if they feel these horses are ready to adopt now.
To adopt an ATFO horse, you need to know these things:
- Follow the 100 day training process of over 40 horses HERE
- Most of these horses receive 100 days of knowledgeable and thorough training by one of our approved trainers leading up to a three day 2022 event from August 18-20th in Winfield, WV.
- Horses adopted during a live auction to approved homes. You do not have to be present to bid. You can do so via phone with a proxy assigned to you.
- At least HALF of these horses are 100 day training only horses. For those, it means you need to be a solid intermediate rider for most of these horses and/or plan to have the horse continue training. Most ATFO trainers are offering continued training at a discount. The will not be suitable for adopters without established experience.
- There may be as many as 50 horses in this event from which to select. You can bid on horses that are suitable for your skill level.
- Approval allows you to bid on any suitable horses for which you are approved. Approval doesn’t require you bid or adopt. It just gives you the option to do so.
- You must apply HERE before August 15th and be approved to be able to BID on event horses, and you are encouraged to meet these horses beforehand while in training.
- Horses should be up to date on dental, farrier care and vaccines, as well as deworming and coggins.
- Pro division horses start at $1,200 bids. Amateur start at $1,000. Showcase Starting bids are $800. Adoptions fees vary. The average winning fee was $2,500 in 2021
- The value of training for these horses alone is over $3,000 per horse. Horses can have their adoption fees paid via cash, check, paypal or square. Credit Cards can be used, but only with a 3% fee charge added.
- Adoption isn’t a sale. It works differently, but it is a process that is good for you and horses. When you adopt, you can compete with, show, love, trail ride and enjoy your horse. They cannot be bred. They cannot be sold, though. They are adopted and must return to the rescue if you change your mind or cannot keep the horse. The base adoption fee we set of $800 is returned, if you request it, when the horse comes back to us. You can learn about adoption here. The horses go on adoption agreements through Heart of Phoenix.
- Once you bid, you’ve entered a legally binding agreement. You cannot retract your bid. Should you opt to not complete the payment after bidding, you will not be considered in the future for adoption at HOP. Once you’ve made your payment, it is not refundable for any reason except for the contract’s specified based fee of $800, and the horse must be returned to us. Any funds over the refundable $800 fee do become a donation to the organization and would then be tax deductible.
- Many trainers will transport horses back for A FEE. Please talk to them ahead of time about this.
- Horses adopt on Contracts, are branded to HOP and micro-chipped.